There are a
lot of really terrible comics out there. God knows. But in maybe 15 years of
reading comic books, I don’t think I’ve read anything that quite approaches Ann
Nocenti’s Catwoman. It’s hard to put
into words, without over-extending my vocabulary, exactly how terrible this
book is, and how sad it is that DC cares so little about this wonderful
character that they’ve put her in the hands of a writer I wouldn’t trust to pen
a grocery list.
I just . .
. I don’t know where to start. So, Nocenti’s been running with the New 52
doctrine that Selina Kyle isn’t a confident, intelligent, complex woman who’s
just trying to get by, and is dealing with certain very real emotional traumas.
Nope, now she’s actually an incredibly insecure crazy cat lady who has been
variously portrayed as a nymphomaniac, a kleptomaniac, and now she apparently
suffers from a split personality disorder. Looking at the kind of dialogue and
inner monologue Nocenti gives her, she may also suffer from early onset
dementia. Compared to her, John Ostrander’s Catwoman had the dry wit of a
Lauren Bacall part. Oh, and they also made her boobs bigger. A lot bigger.
That’s literally all they changed about her appearance.
Look, I
don’t hold mental illness against anybody. I’ve seen how it can effect people
all throughout my life, people I love and people I admire. I’ve always
considered Selina an emotionally damaged character, and I’ve enjoyed seeing her
deal with those things over the years a great deal, on the occasions it was
handled well (I don’t think it’s ever been handled quite this badly). But she
also used to be fucking cool. Now she not only has way more problems, with no
real explanation as to why she has them, they either go completely unaddressed
or Selina deals with them with all the subtlety and conviction of a thirteen
year old who just got dumped.
I have nothing to say about the
plot of this comic, so I’ll just give you a synopsis. Spoiler alert, I guess.
So in the beginning of this issue,
Selina burns her Catwoman costume, declaring she’ll never give in to Catwoman’s
“wild ways” again, insisting that she and Catwoman are actually two separate
people. Some guy propositions her, thinking she’s a prostitute. Why? Absolutely
no discernible reason; in fact, it’s one of the rare times in the series where
she’s dressed rather modestly. Then she goes to a gym and punches a
bag for a while, and then sees the most poorly named and under-developed love
interest in comics, Trip Winters. They don’t say anything of importance to each
other or anything, Nocenti just wanted an opportunity to remind us that this
guy exists and for Selina to tell us that she liked him (again, just cause),
but doesn’t seem to see why she should use it as a chance to, I dunno, give him
a personality or anything. Selina buys a bunch of cats, then goes home and
finds out Trip slipped a puzzlebox into her bag and . . . Jesus fucking Christ.
Look, you don’t want to read this any more than I want to write it, so we’ll
just sum it up: Selina became a suicide hotline operator (which is odd because
we’ve already established that she has a lot of problems of her own that she
hasn’t really worked on at all yet) but she’s really bad at it, Roulette
challenges Selina to a thief competition to prove she’s a better thief than
Roulette and also to save the lives of a bunch of kids, but then finds out
nobody actually kidnapped any kids. She decides to do the competition anyway
and becomes Catwoman again because she’s really desperate to prove she’s the
best thief there is, apparently. She goes to the thing and they all fight.
Also, Trip Winters is apparently Roulette’s boyfriend. Mirror Master’s there,
but all his dialogue is awful like everybody else’s. Selina gets pushed into
the mirror world, and then there’s a bunch of god awful exposition and the
issue mercifully ends.
Oh, and Pat
Oliffe’s art is fine. Just fine. I’m not enthusiastic about it, but maybe I
would like it better if it wasn’t backed by such a god awful script, but even
then it’s at best okay, bringing nothing new or interesting to the table. But I
can’t really blame Pat Oliffe for that: if I was penciling this book, I
wouldn’t put any extra effort into it either. Hell, I don’t even like the cover
by Terry and Rachel Dodson because I know what a book with Catwoman on the
cover means now.
This is one
of those books you read because it’s awful and it makes you angry and you like
being angry. It’s an insult to the character it depicts, it’s an insult to the
world it inhabits, and in a lot of ways it’s the artform at its worst. It's probably for the best if you just don't give in to the temptation.
No comments:
Post a Comment